• facebook
  • twitter
  • contact us

Tell kids or have it a surprise?

Forums > Vacation Planning > Tell kids or have it a surprise?

Hiedip
We have planned a trip for September. We have not told the kids yet. We were thinking of not telling them and having it be a surprise. What are your opinions? I know part of the trip is the anticipation leading up to it... Help!
Katherine
I would make it a surprise but maybe drop little clues here and there.
disneybound
I think it depends on how old your little ones are and how well they handle the anticipation (and your threshold for responses for questions/meltdowns/etc as a result). I've chosen to surprise my son (age 8) with our 3 trips. The most recent time we even watched ride videos on YouTube together and it didn't make him any wiser. Our next trip will likely be shared with him about a month out.
Christy
I surprised my older kids with a crossword puzzle.
Pixie dust
I would definitely make it a surprise. They will remember it forever. I think that would be neat
Hiedip
Thank you for the input! My kids are 11,9,7. It's not our first time. So I thought it would be fun to keep it a secrete as long as we can!
Pixie dust
That's a fantastic surprise. I hope you have a great time.
DisneyHolly
Personally I love my kids excitement as our trip gets closer. We do a countdown calendar and they love talking about our upcoming trip. I would never make it a surprise as it would take that fun and exciting time away
Berta1214
We surprised our boys last year on the morning of. They loved it!! They were so thankful it filled my heart with happiness. We woke them at 5:30am with glowing Mickey ears.
Princess Marvel
For my daughter's first trip it was for her birthday so it wasn't a surprise. Last year when we went it was only for one day (we were visiting family a couple hours away) and we decided to tell her we were going on a shopping trip and didn't tell her til we were loading the busses to go into Disney from the parking lot. It was so much fun to see her read the bus and figure out what we were doing! This year it's not a surprise since her dance team is going so I'm glad I kept the last one a surprise.
MomE24
We are surprising our children. They have absolutely no clue. We re going to have a scavenger hunt at the airport and hopefully recruit the agents there and have little surprising gifts for them, like an autograph book, water bottle, t-shirt, etc. We've labeled it "our trip to Colorado" because it's really hard to try and plan w/o then realizing what's going on lol. I'm so excited. They're ages are 9, 8, 6 & 3.
Berta1214
Please post how the surprise goes. I hope it's amazing!!
Lu
Same delima for our end of the summer trip. I sooooo want to tell them when they start camp but our son keeps saying how he wants to be surprised sometime. Even if we surprise them, I have to say something as we are pulling them out of camp early (i.e.tgey need to know that the Wednesday is their last day to say goodbye to friends). let us know what you decide
Berta1214
You can always tell the camp you're coming Wednesday and ask them to tell your kids on Tuesday so they can say goodbye to their friends. My kids were so happy we surprised them. Pretty rare to have such an amazing surprise like Disney. I wish I could have kept our Club 33 dinner a surprise for them but I couldn't. They might have died??
Minniemom7
I like telling my kids. Then they can help plan things like where to eat. It seems like the anticipation makes things pretty exciting. Makes the trip fun start long before we even get to the park.
DisneyHolly
That's exactly how I feel. The build up and excitement is all part of the trip.
MomE24
@Berta1214 I most definitely will!!
Cass
We are surprising our 8 year old son with our trip in December. He has been very blessed by grandparents that have taken him to Disney nearly every year. He thinks this will be his first year without going- little does he know;) We plan on telling him once we get to the airport. He will think that he is going with us to the airport to see his dad and I off on our honeymoon. I can't wait to tell him. I think I am looking forward to the look on his face just as much as I am looking forward to the trip. Let us all know what you decide and how it goes!
Berta1214
Last year when we kept the trip a surprise, we still watched Disney movies to lead up to it, and I listened to ride music in the car. I said it was because I missed Disney so much. Lead up to Disney still got done.
Berta1214
I asked my 11 year old, surprise or not. He said surprise because it was so much fun for the parents to see their kids reaction and he liked watching his reaction on the video we made.
DisneyHolly
Out of curiosity I just asked my 2 kids the same question and they said no surprise. They said they love the countdown, planning what they were going to do and telling their friends they were going. They said if it was a surprise they couldn't do that. I guess they are all different and some kids prefer a surprise, others don't. At the end of the day they are going to Disneyland so it's a win either way!
Finding disney
I would love to be able to surprise my child but I could not keep my excitement in. We have a trip planed for September and I talk about it all day. I am constantly watching ride and parade you tube videos with her also.
Pixie dust
We have never been to WDW it's a huge dream of mine. I'm thinking maybe next fall going. My kids are in their 20's and I usually take them so I can spend time with them. I'm seriously considering telling them we're going to Disneyland and when we get to the airport get on the plane to Florida instead. I think that would be priceless
Disneygal
surprise them
Hiedip
I didn't realize how hard it is for me to keep the secret! But so far they are None the wiser! We leave September 9th!
Berta1214
Hiedip, if I did it last year you can do it this year. Your kids will love it. I was very subtle and still watched YouTube rides, Disney movies, and my boys were none the wiser.(I just said oh I wish we were going this year) You can do it!!

Login to Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Login with Facebook to Reply
Follow us on: