• facebook
  • twitter
  • contact us

Autistic son

Forums > Vacation Planning > Autistic son

Jasmine A.K.
Any advice from parents who have taken an autistic child to DLR? We are planning a trip this August and our 5 year old was just recently diagnosed. Any recommendations on things to do differently to help him be most comfortable?
M&M=Love
I have a now 5yr old, diagnosed at 18months autistic. They have always been very accomdating for this situation. There is a pinned thread that talks about the DAS system. Go to City Hall and exlain your situation, they will give you a couple options and ask what would work best for you. As always you know your lil guy best and how much stimulation he can take. Taking breaks and having other things for him to do while in line. If he has any food issues, then let them know and most accomating they will be. I also have kid themed ear muffs that you can get online for the noises, if that bothers him like it does mine. They come in different animals and are really cute. We always go with an idea of what we want to do but not a hard plan in case things go astray for him. Welcome to the journey of parenting an angel with ASD, have fun and enjoy seeing things thru his eyes. There are other people on here that also have lil ones with ASD, so if you have questions we are here for you.
heffurtink
We just got back from our 1st trip to DW and used the DAS pass for our adult son who lives with Autism. The use of the DAS pass is slightly different at DL. It was programmed into our magic bands and we went to each individual ride to get a return time and at DL you go to a kiosk to get a return time for a ride. With both you go to guest relations at the park you will be starting your trip at and the pass will be for the length of your vacation. Your child must be present to go on the ride and it is good for up to 6 people in your party. It is our experience that Disney goes well above and beyond all others for what is required to accommodate so Im sure they eI'll glady help make the trip for your son and you a great one . We really did our homework and decided the DAS pass was best for our son. I know it is not required to show but we travel with his documentation that shows our guardianship/conservator and his medical diagnosis. To look at him you would never know. So we went to Guest Relations and showed them his paperwork and explained in detail why we needed the pass. Once they explained how it worked we were on our way. We used fast passes along with the DAS pass. He would choose a ride and we would get a return time which would be 10 minutes less than that rides stand by time and in the mean time we would take him to a shop or get a treat or find a ride or show with no wait lines. Hope this info helps.
Jasmine A.K.
Some great advice, thank you!
Christy
I watch YouTube? videos of rides with my son so that he would be familiar with them and had no surprises. I also purchased industrial ear protection and my son wore them all through the park, he a audio avoider and the rides are loud. We did the DAS card and it was a life saver.
Mel_dizzle
My sons have autism and my best advice is to let him know before hand everything you are going to do. That there will be lots of people and different things going on. Take lots of breaks.
Mel_dizzle
Oops I didn't get it all in. With my sons growing up the more I told them about what was or possibly happening with an event etc. The better they handled things. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.
Jasmine A.K.
Great ideas! Thank you!! I'll definitely have him watch some of the ride videos first, hopefully that will help.
Cass
My son is also diagnosed Autistic- last time we went to DL with him he was 5. Our life savers were definitely YouTube and bringing in snacks for him. YouTube really helped him know what he was getting into, he was up for riding anything because of it. We also showed him videos of shows and parades. It really helped him understand that we were there to have fun. We also made sure to pack snacks that we knew he would eat. At that point in time, he wouldn't eat food if it looked different than what he was used to ( Mickey Mouse pancakes didn't look the same as ones made at home....) This really helped with keeping food melt downs at bay. We also took a lot of breaks- either at the hotel for a nap or swim or we would try to find a quiet corner to relax for a few minutes as needed. We also picked up a few toys/books at the dollar store to surprise him with in a long line- helped make some of the long wait times a little more enjoyable. If he enjoys games- get a pack of flash cards and treat them like the heads up app. My son loved acting out different animals and getting us to guess. Hope you all have a wonderful time!
M&M=Love
bump for Disneynana

Login to Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Login with Facebook to Reply
Follow us on: