• facebook
  • twitter
  • contact us

Guest assistance card??

Forums > Vacation Planning > Guest assistance card??

Jasae
Can I get a card if I have anxiety attacks?
WinnieThePooh
what does a guest assistance card do?
bonfozzel
Enables you to use an accessible entrance
Diane - DIO/MPT Agent
Disneyland resorts provide guest assistance cards to visitors with disabilities that aren't immediately apparent. Guests who, for whatever reason, cannot be in crowds or stand in line get access to the same handicapped waiting areas that people with wheelchairs or canes use automatically. A guest assistance card usually does not get you to the front of the line; rather, it provides you with a comfortable place to wait.

Visit your doctor and have her write a note before you go. The letter should state the condition, along with why special accommodations are required. This last part is very important, as Disneyland issues guest assistance cards based on the needs of the guest rather than the diagnosis.

Go directly to Guest Relations on the first day of your visit and talk to a Guest Services Cast Member. You can find these near the entrance of every Disney Resort park.

Ask for a guest assistance card and show your doctor's note. Be specific about the condition of you or your child, and outline what your needs are. For instance, if you are dealing with an illness that will not allow you to stand in the sun, say that.

Be diplomatic but persistent. If the Cast Member decides that your issue is endurance related, she may request that you rent a wheelchair. If you feel otherwise, ask to speak to her manager.

Show your guest assistance pass to any Cast Member at attractions where you need assistance. They will be able to read the instructions stamped on the card and give you the accommodations you need.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2104608_get-guest-assistance-card-disneyland.html#page=0
Disney Jenn - DIO
Perfectly stated Diane! My only thing to add is that sometimes the fast pass entrance is faster than the guest assistance card. Many times you wait in a small area off to the side but they only take a certain number at a time so some waits can be quite long on busy days.
Biogeektls
You're completely right Disney Jenn. I have a guest assistance card for anxiety as well, but I also use fastpasses. Whichever option gets me away from crowds of people surrounding me the fastest is the better option for me!
WinnieThePooh
Thank you for the info. Can I show them my handicap card instead of a doctors note?
Disney Jenn - DIO
They may tell you that all the rides are "handicapped accessible"
The Pirate
thats really cool I didnt know they did that
Diane - DIO/MPT Agent
I'm going to move this to Vacation Planning. Here we go!
Biogeektls
One thing I'd like to add to this is that as an Annual Passholder, the cm at City Hall gave me an accessibility pass good for 3 months so I did not have to get a new one at each visit.
Mickey'sIceCreamSandwich
After being without passes for a few years, we finally got our passes again in December! Oh, how I missed the magic of Disney! Anyway, during the time of our lapse, I was diagnosed with quite a few health issues, including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. I have a handicap placard and a wheelchair. I don't use the wheelchair full-time, only when I'm having bad days or there is prolonged walking or standing involved. Due to the lupus and some of the medications I take I'm also very sensitive to the sun. When I go to the park with just my son, it is hard for him to push me around. Also, some days I don't necessarily need to be pushed around, I just need sitting breaks.

Is this something I can get a guest assistance card for? I have plenty of patience, so it's not a waiting in line issue, sometimes I just can't stand in a 2 hour line (or multiple), especially if it is in the sun. I prefer not to use my wheelchair if I don't have to, but I'm trying to figure out what would be best. Also, is this something I have to obtain every time I go, since I am a passholder? Or do they have a permanent card? This is a brand new type of Disney adventure for me and I appreciate any input.

I'm so glad this app exists, definitely the best Disney app out there!
Disney Jenn - DIO
The only thing they offer AP holders is a three month guest assistance card. You must have your AP pass with you though.
rfogg18
I have a few diagnoses that make walking long periods difficult so I end up in a wheelchair at Disneyland. Do I need to get a guest assistance card, or is the wheelchair my pass? I always just left the chair at the entrance... That was hard to do though. Any input is really appriciated
Disney Jenn - DIO
Wheelchair is your pass :-)
Disney Jenn - DIO
Many of the lines are also wheelchair accessible so you should ask them for the paper that tells you where to board at the wheelchair rental
Biogeektls
A lot of rides also offer accessibility turn passes, like a fast pass even for rides that do not normally have fast passes. When my anxiety is especially bad, I use these frequently.
rfogg18
Ok thanks (:
Mickey'sIceCreamSandwich
Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I got my two month guest assistance card yesterday. I may have to just go back to the wheelchair though. All the walking yesterday may have been too much.
Aubudeb
I am new here but wanted to point out that you do not need a letter from your Dr. This is actually a violatiin of the ADA. You will specifically need to tell the cast member what needs you have and they will stamp the card with those needs. we are planning our first trip to DLR but are WDW vets. I have a special needs child so have used the GAC for many yrs now. Hope this helps.
Diane - DIO/MPT Agent
Aubudeb, Welcome to DIO! We always appreciate helpful information. Thank you for sharing!
GrizzlySkywalker
@biogeektls I was not aware passes were given out for anxiety. I have anxiety that I take medication for. If I don't need a Dr note should I bring alog anything else I might have ?
Aubudeb
You don't have to bring anything. You just have to specifically tell the CM what assistance you need. For example. .."hello, I would like to get a guest assistance card. I need to have moving platforms stopped so that I may safely load and unload."
Aubudeb
Thanks for the welcome!
Disney Jenn - DIO
They need to know why you think you need that and then they decide whether or not it is a valid reason. They may or may not need proof. As in a note. I would bring one because they are getting more and more tight on security and such lately
Aubudeb
Disney Jenn..they can not ask you why. we have been to WDW at least 12 times now with a special needs child that unless you knew her you would not be able to tell. The ADA is very clear that they can not ask the reason why. if anyone is ever asked at Disney or anywhere else you can simply state you have a need foe this assistance and let them know they can not ask you the reason why. reason everyone
Aubudeb
In fact, even if you bring a note from your Dr they are not allowed to take it by law. Hope that makes sense. I am not always the best at describing what I am trying to say LOL.
Disney Jenn - DIO
Whenever we go to update our card they ask him (the person needing assistance must be there) what his problem is and what assistance he thinks he needs. Then they give us a card with one of 2 different stamps for different types of access. I have also heard them turning people away saying they can't help with certain things. They do this because word of the passes have gotten out and everybody and their mamas want to try to say they have a bad back or what have you to get one. In fact some days the guest assistance line is longer than the regular line! May look shorter but wait is longer because they only let in so many groups at once.
rfogg18
I was wondering if fibromyalgia is an appropriate reason for one..
Annthea Gobel
I don't think so, one of my best friends has it and she didn't get one, I know she wouldn't even consider it unless she was having a flare up.
GrizzlySkywalker
thanks for the info. we went today with no problems and didn't require a guest assistance pass :)
Mickey'sIceCreamSandwich
When I got mine a couple of weeks ago, I came prepared with documentation and the CM told me that she didnt need to see it. She took me at my word and issued me a 2 month pass (I'm an APH). When I was there this past Sunday, one CM told me that they are starting to crack down because people have been picking them up of the ground and from the trash and using them. It's sad that these people may ruin it for those that legitimately have issues. Rfogg18-if you have specific issues as a result of your fibromyalgia, I would say your condition could warrant one. I know that disease can be extremely debilitating.
rfogg18
Mickey'sIceCreamSandwich- it puts in a wheelchair almost every visit and the pain makes it hard to breath while walking up and down stairs/ramps
My son is turning two years old this summer and is our miracle baby. He was born six weeks early, and has been at failure to thrive his whole life. He gets sick very easy, a cold to someone else is pneumonia with a six week recovery and hospital stay for him. He is not supposed to be around big crowds of people mostly because of the risk of him getting sick. My mom told me about this card and I was wondering if he would qualify. I would love to take him for his second birthday, but not if he's going to be standing in lines next to lots of people all day. Thanks.
Disney Jenn - DIO
He will be around a lot of people in Disneyland with or without the card. I'm sure you will be able to get him a card but remember it is only for rides. Visiting with characters he will still need to wait (or someone wait while he is out of harms way). Maybe a medical mask? I'd guess there are TONS of germs in the park
I have spinal stenosis. I bought an annual pass to go with my grandchildren before I realized the pain was not temporary. I can walk without much pain but standing in line for long periods of time are torture. I realize that the lines are not always quicker but cutting some time off will decrease the pain. To get a 2 month assistance card should I just tell them that I can't stand for excessively long periods. Or should I be specific? Thank you!
Disney Jenn - DIO
I just got back yesterday and they no longer do them for 2 months. Now they are only good for 2 weeks. The cast member said they are having problems with people selling their cards!! I have also heard of people paying a disabled person to come with them to the park. But back to your question. Be specific because when I friend told them she couldn't stand in line they suggested a wheel chair. So you may just say you have this condition that causes pain when standing for long periods.
My kids and I go once a week or so as we live very nearby... I was recently hit by a drunk driver and suffered a back injury among knee and other issues. Someone stole my card and we had to get another..

CM supervisor Mike at DCA asked me to provide documentation pertaining to my condition and how sure I was that I couldn't do stairs. He embarrassed me in front of other patrons and staff not to mention my children.

While I understand (and detest) those who abuse such assistance, it's pretty pathetic that people who need them are interrogated.
We just spent 2 days at Disneyland and California Adventure. I have severe arthritis in my ankle. Walking and standing can be painful and difficult. I rented an ECV, but got a GAC as well. I always have a note from my doctor stating the accommodations that I need, and I don't mind showing the note. Many of the cast members at ride entrances asked to see the GAC, and looked at it closely, even though I used the ECV at the entrance. Many replies state that the wheelchair is your pass, but an ECV is definitely not. My husband and I have 3 sons, 13, 11, and 8, and we don't mind waiting our turn, but standing is difficult for me. It was very frustrating for us to witness people with a GAC, not in a wheelchair or ECV, arguing with cast members when they were not permitted immediate access to the front of the line. (Some cast members, out of frustration, I guess, allowed these people in.) The GAC would make Disneyland and DisneyWorld out of the question for our family, but unfortunately there are many people that abuse this system.
Coc90
How does this work if I have a baby too? My husband and I will be going next week with our 9 month old.
Jen - DIO
Based on my understanding of how the GAC works, having a baby should make no difference. But you won't be able to go on rides with height requirements, so if you're planning on using the rider switch and the GAC, you may want to speak with the CMs at the specific attraction to see how they will accommodate that.
Coc90
Thank you Jen! Should I detail both of my issues to the CM at GR? Or should I just explain one of them? I do not want to seem like I'm throwing all sorts of "medical issues" around in order to get a GAC?
Jen - DIO
Personally, I would be short & sweet with both. "I have an anxiety-based & physical need for a GAC" then let them ask questions. I realize a PP said they can't ask questions or look at medical documentation but I would take it anyway & be prepared to show it. Bearing in mind I've never needed one myself and am only going off what I've seen/heard/read about working for others. So if someone else chimes in with different advice, take mine with a grain of salt. :)
Diane - DIO/MPT Agent
As stated in an earlier post, explain your need. Cast members may not realize how your disability translates to your need. I agree with being prepared to show proof of your disability (Dr's note, etc) even if not legally required. Be patient with Cast Members. The provision is sometimes abused and they are not medical experts. Above all, have a great time! :-)
Bryant - DIO/MPT Agent
Moving this up.
Brittnir
My family and I will be going to disneyland for my birthday on the 28th. My grandma has Parkinson's disease and is not able to stand or walk well at all she falls very easy and gets weak so we will be bringing her in her wheelchair. I was wondering how it works for her getting on rides and in lines. Is there a separate line for wheelchairs, will she have to wait in a different line by herself? I read that if you go to city hall and tell them the situation they give you a GAC and a card to write the number of people in your party and you can stay together through the ride and handicap lines I just wanted a little more info on what to do and how it works.
Brittnir
Thank you for moving this up Bryant!
Disney Jenn - DIO
Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible so grandma would just go through the same line as everyone else. If the line is not accessible you would ask the CM where to wait and everyone waits together. You can go to city hall and request a GAP but it is not necessarily needed if she is in a chair. Also if you do get a GAP it only works if she is actually going on the ride. You wouldn't be able to use it to wait in a seep rate area to board unless she is actually riding the ride. They usually do check the pass and ask who the named person is. They can be used for a group of up to 6.
Disney Jenn - DIO
That should say GAC but my silly phone autocorrected for me
Brittnir
Ok thank you so much!!
Maria Lopez-Torres
I'm sorry but unless you understand what it is for someone who has Autism and ADD you shouldn't talk these are true disabilities that children and adults have yes there are many adults as well as kids that are autistic too a lot of these people have physical problems such as being sentitive to noises and having problems with enclosed spaces so much that a person with the disability would would cry in pain
Disney Jenn - DIO
The GAC pass IS NOT only for physical disabilities. In fact most of the rides can be accessed in the normal line for say a person in a wheel chair. These passes are intended for people with all disabilities to help them enjoy the park. I do not know if you truly understand what autism is. Autism is a reason for a GAC, ADD would not be a reason. Please remember there are parents on this thread with special needs children. Thank you.
Maria Lopez-Torres
thank you Jenn, its really upsetting when people don't truly understand what disabilities and special needs are and how they can be life debilitating
Diane - DIO/MPT Agent
I have deleted a couple of posts above. The question raised at the beginning of this thread is asking for facts about Disney policy, not opinion about who should get a GAC and whether the arrangement is being abused. Please limit comments to those that are helpful, informative and answer the question above. Thanks!
AngelaJ
Thank you all for standing up for kids with Autism and other disabilities! I have a nephew with Autism and he is such. blessing to be able to get the pass. There is no way he could stand in a long line and the noises of people really bother him. He has amplified hearing. Thank goodness for headphones as well!
AngelaJ
Meant to say he is such a blessing and the pass is a blessing for him and his mom.
Loretta
I learned the hard way as a teen about disabilities and not being able to see them in a person my dad got brain tumor and when he would have seizures it was like he was a child again not knowing how to function like an adult our family got cussed out for using a handicap spot with our sign and my dad broke down in tears it wasn't his fault after going through that I highly respect people and their needs regardless if you see it or not they deserve to be anywhere they choose to be and trying to enjoy life like the rest of us without people's opinion being thrown at them on a daily basis

Login to Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Login with Facebook to Reply
Follow us on: