• facebook
  • twitter
  • contact us

DIS community shrinking?

Forums > Carthay Lounge > DIS community shrinking?

pixiedandruff
there used to be so many people on here, it was really nice bc you got to know new people, and you got lots of different answers to questions. the past few months or so though, the community seems smaller? instead of getting a bunch of answers, questions are often closed, and old posts that in theory answer that question are instead bumped- particularly in the hotel forums. but the posts bumped are old, and info from 2 years ago is hardly relevant to someone asking in 2016, you know? the community in the forums is really what drives this app, I'm just sad to see it fade, i guess.
pixiedandruff
typo in title, story of my life...
Mamaof12
I noticed that too.
NapaJane
I agree, there isn't the diversity that we use to have here.
M&M=Love
I would agree with you all. I think the ones that are around still are pretty awesome. I really enjoy reading your posts and thoughts. This forum really makes my day. Love you guys!
Mamaof12
First thing I do every morning. I get excited when I see all the red dots and then find out they are just moving posts to different places. Boo hoo
Evil Queen
we are like a weird little Disney loving family!
Mamaof12
Yes we all are ! Love it !
Pixie dust
Lol yes we definitely are
GrimGrinningGhost
Evil Queen you say it perfectly
Mickey Bound
So true evil queen we are the die hard Disney people. But think maybe we are shrinking in numbers is because the people that were on just to create argument have given up and moved on to other forums
Evil Queen
I agree mickey bound there were definitely a few who were all about the drama and we are probably better off without them
CinderFellaDisney
Totally agree. Just made a comeback after a good year. Hopefully I won't leave again.
Mickey Bound
Welcome back
CinderFellaDisney
thank you!
Ron Munster
I come on maybe only once a week now whereas i used to check the app out every day. I get bummed out because I see this same questions over and over and over again about certain things,yet in the past I have made some really good unique topics that only get about at most 5/10 replys ??. it's definitely a smaller group of people now as opposed to like 3 years ago when I first got the app.
pixiedandruff
there were three new posts total, I even checked the wdw forums. maybe when summer is over people will come back?
GrimGrinningGhost
I totally agree Ron Munster,I used to check everyday and all of the topics were full with many helpful questions to all of us now the questions are just reputed over and over again.
Mickey Bound
I think that may be because their at only so many questions you can ask
Disney Dad (1 of 3)
I used to be on here regularly but lost my account to a new phone some time ago. But after reading this post it's made me miss it, so I'm back...
'Ello Poppet
I hope it doesn't continue to shrink . I need all you guys !!
disneybound
I haven't been on the forums as long as many of you. Since my joining I've felt more of an admin presence to "keep things tidy" and close threads that could get too opinionated. My visits are less frequent now that I don't have a park visit I'm planning for. I really enjoy reading about your adventures, advice and glimpses of real life. Thank you for your contributions!
Ostchris
disneybound hit it right on the head with the "keep things tidy" comment.
Mickey Bound
So true. But in their defense about 6 months ago we had some pretty opinionated people that were on the boards to just start a argument.
Evil Queen
and we would have 3 or 4 threads going on the exact same topic with the same comments on each. I think the admins do a great job keeping things flowing in a positive direction.
Mickey Bound
We may not be a huge community but we all love the Disney so in away it makes us family
'Ello Poppet
No worries new baby DIOers will be coming
Mickey Bound
I don't think dio dead a lot of it is the expansion people are not as interested when new park opens more will come.
E's Mom
Seems to me DIO is trying to concentrate more on the vacation aspect as opposed to the fan aspect. Vacation planning is their main source of income. Makes sense to me.
Ron Munster
how is it their main source of income?
pixiedandruff
if they wanted this app to solely be about vacation planning, they wouldn't have the forum this post is in, and they would actually give answers to vacation planning related questions, instead of bumping irrelevant threads after closing said relevant questions. (not bashing them for doing so but like, at the same time, people tend to ask questions repeatedly bc they want better/different/more recent answers, not bc they just didn't see that thread from May 2015 that asked the same thing) but this post was about the number of people using the discussion section of this app (argueably the most useful thing it has, lbh) diminishing, it has nothing to do with the mods or the people running the app, and their income?
E's Mom
Magical Partners Travel is the host /moderator of this app. To me, it appears they would like to attract future vacationers, who use this app, to possibly use their travel service creating their income.
Diane - DIO
This app is not a main source of income for anyone. It is a labor of love for the developer and everyone else involved. All of the moderators are volunteers - no one gets paid for what they do on DIO.

This app was indeed created to help people plan their visit to the Disneyland Resort. When it was first released it did not include the discussion boards.

DIO members are encouraged to look through existing forum threads to see if their question or topic has already been posted and read the comments that follow to see if their question has been answered.

If existing threads do not answer your question you are welcome to ask for additional or more recent information in those threads. If your question or topic has not been posted you are welcome to start a new thread.

DIO moderators have been commissioned to keep the boards tidy and move or close threads as needed. We understand this is going to frustrate some but that is never our intention.

I don't know if the number of discussion board participants has shrunk but app downloads and usage have remained consistent. You might be surprised by how many people are looking at the boards but not posting.

We appreciate the positive comments above and are taking the concerns mentioned above to heart.

Thank you!
Diane - DIO
Magical Partners Travel is not the host or moderator of this app. They are separate entities who are working together to help folks plan their vacation.

MPT is the official travel agency of DIO. Two DIO staff members are also MPT agents. DIO is committed to helping everyone plan their best vacation whether they use a travel agent or do all of the work themselves.

:-)
Mamaof12
I think we are grateful for this app and all of the volunteers. Thank you for being so generous. Personally love this app
E's Mom
Thank you for clarifying, Diane.
PinkElephant
I check this app daily and always love reading what is happening at the parks and reading answers to posted questions that I'm interested in. I rarely post comments or create new threads but I am a Disney lover to the core and this app gives me some Disney magic each day. I always catch my 9 yr old checking in on the latest news and thread updates too!
Court - DIO/MPT Agent
Hi all- I just want to step in as well. My husband Ryan and I are the owners of DIO. He is the developer and I do most of the content. He has a full time job and I have part time work (being an MPT agent is one thing but as Diane said separate from DIO, we are just affiliated) and we have two young kiddos at home. DIO is our hobby (not a big income source) and sadly we have much less time now for it than we did when we launched it in 2011, though the website has been around since the 1990s. Ryan is the sole developer and while he has a wish list of updates and fixes a mile long, just doesn't have the time at this point to keep up due to work and family obligations. The forums were added later to the app and we love our fan community and are forever indebted to the volunteers who regularly moderate and help out on the boards. As Diane said, while affiliated with MPT, we are separate entities and our primary focus has always been vacation planning for Disneyland, individually, with a travel agent, and/or the help of an awesome community like this one. We regret the lack of participation that may be due to less app updates or content. I am working on updating news and such more regularly to drive people back to the site and hopefully forums as well. We thank you for your continued support of DIO and especially our staff for keeping it a happy place to be!
grandmadizny
Court, thank you for all you and your husband do for this app. I've been on for a long time, though I do keep losing my points because of me changing phones. If I can help you let me know.
grandmadizny
I do think that life gets hectic, and with the pricing of Disneyland Resort tickets many can't afford to go on a Disney vacation. Many only have used this forum when they have planned so they have stopped. But I have noticed a lot of new DIO's since May 2015. I hope they'll stay. I also agree that the changes being made are affecting Disney vacations as well.
E's Mom
Thank you DIO staff & volunteers. I love to see the new topics and the DIOers posts & comments are always entertaining. I made a error and stand corrected. I hope I didn't insult or offend anyone. That wasnt my intent. I am glad Diane & Courtney have given us a idea of their generous contribution to this app.
Mickey Bound
I appreciate all you do for us. Sometimes the topics are repeated but I for one don't mind even in repeated topics the answers and opinions are sometimes different. It keeps me really excited about next trip.
grandmadizny
E's MOM - your comment allowed all of us the opportunity to hear just what goes into this app. I don't think you offended anyone.
Diane - DIO
E's Mom you definitely did not offend anyone with your comment. As grandmadizny said it gave us an opportunity to explain the relationship between MPT and DIO for everyone who might not have known. In fact nothing in this thread offended us.

I found this topic quite interesting to think about. I have seen a lot of DIO regulars come and go over the years. I think some of that is normal. I do miss some who have gone but I appreciate the ones who are here now.

:-)
Ron Munster
so about those future updates that are a mile long ? lol that sounds interesting as I think some updates/new features on here are sorely needed
Court - DIO/MPT Agent
Grandma dzny we should be able to restore your points let me know :) As far as the list goes, everything from photo posting bugs to private messaging to fancier features
Pirate Family
This is the only app we use for our Disney fix. wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you DIO
'Ello Poppet
I love this app because we have true Disney freaks here ! I wish there was more to do on here plus it's good clean fun !
Evil Queen
I could not have said it better ello puppet!
Pixie dust
I also agree Ello Poppet
GrimGrinningGhost
Totally agree 'Ello Poppet
Finding disney
I think most people come on here when they are planing their Disneyland vacation. I come on here often but when I am planing my vacation I come on here a lot more because it gets me even more excited for my trip. Lol
Disney Jenn - DIO
I also think this is a great thread. I think a lot of people have become very busy with the not so exciting things in life lately. I know I haven't been to the parks in about 3 years so I don't post as much because I feel kind of out of the disneyland loop. I do however try to keep the boards easy to read. Some of you mentioned closing of threads and bumping others. This really does help to keep things neat. There have been times where there are literally a dozen threads, within weeks of each other asking the same thing. So it helps to keep all info together, much like the Halloween party threads and Holiday threads. I think park closures are also a factor. Once things are open again and new stuff happening I think we will see a lot of new posts. Once again, thank you to all you wonderful DIOers, you are the reason we volunteer our time to run these boards!!!
pixiedandruff
Maybe a way to search the threads would help some? it takes a long time, scrolling through years of posts, if there was a way to search for a keyword or two, it's be a lot easier on everyone, I think.
Disney Jenn - DIO
DisneyInSpring, that is on our wish list for Admin. Hopefully he will get some free time to do some updates soon
disneybound
That would be a great feature addition! I've only utilized the app and it doesn't easily facilitate a search. What if we have Disney obsessed programming friends? Would you guys be open to volunteers assisting with feature/coding updates?
7 Disney Nuts
I also noticed last year, I felt the participation fell in summer, people busy. it picked back up in the fall. I do love this app and the people on it
Chance
I love the app & have referred friends and family to use it. I check daily on the forums and news but I think for me I get really into the posts after we have a trip scheduled and the countdown is on!
Court - DIO/MPT Agent
Disneybound email me about the programming friends :) Court@disneylandinsideout.com or courtney@magicalpartnerstravel.com Yes search feature on the want list !
WickedWitch
Love my DIO!!!
"E" Ticket
I love this app... I live in NorCal and can only make it to the park every few years or decades so this is a great way to get my Disneyland fix! Also the All Aboard the Disneyland Railroad makes me have that same "Good all over feeling". Thank you all for my favorite app and bringing back great memories. Aloha and have a great day!
Little Chef
I definitely tend to be more active around an upcoming trip. I think my Disneyland withdral is just to painful when I know I don't get to go for a while

Login to Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Login with Facebook to Reply
Follow us on: