Looking for the perfect keepsake? Commemorate your visit to the Disneyland
Resort with special pressed coin designs featuring many beloved Resort icons
and attractions. In addition, be sure to keep your collection pretty as a penny
with a souvenir collector's book.
What is an Elongated or Pressed Coin?
Elongated coins are created when a coin is squeezed between two rollers,
one of which has an engraving on its surface. As the coin is flattened (or pressed)
into an oval shape, the engraving roller permanently presses a special picture
or message onto it.
Elongated Coin History
The art of pressing coins dates back 100 years and the earliest known pressed
coins are from 1818 Vienna, Austria pressed inside a modified jewelers mill.
In 1892-1893, pressed coin souvenirs were introduced into the United States
at the World's Colombian Exposition held in Chicago, Illinois.
History of the Elongated Coin Die
- Chemicals are used to imprint an image on a roller (metal die)
- The image is etched in reverse (i.e., mirror image) so that the picture
pressed onto the coin will be correct.
- Hand skilled artisans utilize delicate dental instruments to carve out
- Depending on the complexity, it usually takes up to two days to engrave
a single die
- The Disneyland Resort has penny, quarter, nickel, and dime coin pressers
Pressed Coin Locations
Be sure to check out some of the latest Pressed Coin collectables around
the Resort. The official Disneyland Resort Coin Press collectables sheet is
available at Guest Relations in City Hall, Main Street U.S.A., Disneyland.
Main Street U.S.A.
- The Walt Disney Story,featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (exit
- Penny Arcade
New Orleans Square
- Pieces of Eight
- Le Bat en Rouge
- Pooh’s Corner
- Splash Mountain exit
- Pioneer Mercantile
- Westward Ho Trading Company
- “it’s a small world” Toy Shop
- Disney Princess Fantasy Faire area
- Gag Factory - Toontown Five & Dime
- Little Green Men Store Command
Disney’s California Adventure
- Engine Ears Toys
- Greetings from California
Hollywood Pictures Backlot
- Off the Page
- Studio Store
- Gone Hollywood
- Tower Hotel Gifts
- Sideshow Shirts
- Treasures in Paradise
Grand Californian Hotel
- Fantasia Gift Shop
- Goofy’s Kitchen lobby
Paradise Pier Hotel